Experience the Beauty of Roatan
Surrounded by the world’s second largest barrier reef, the island of Roatan is an incredible place for ocean kayaking. Calm, crystal clear waters offer excellent underwater visibility, numerous sandy beaches make a perfect resting spot for a picnic, and mangrove forests reveal hidden canals - sometimes referred to as the Venice of the Caribbean.
Self-Led Roatan Kayak Excursions
Free usage of the resort’s kayaks allow you to leisurely explore our shallow and protected “front yard,” as well as the island’s many secluded coves, and tropical mangroves.
As you glide above the coral reef, watch for frolicking dolphins, sea turtles, and, of course, the colorful fish and coral that attract divers and snorkelers from around the world. If you look to shore, you may catch glimpses of the island’s many bird species or iguanas.
Guided Roatan Kayak Excursions
Self-led excursions offer flexibility and are the perfect way to experience the island’s beauty for free, but if you would feel more comfortable with a guided tour, just ask! Our friendly front office staff can schedule a guided kayak excursion with a local tour operator, who will be able to provide information on Roatan’s history, culture, and wildlife.
If you do decide to book a guided excursion, it’s usually best to reserve ahead.
Kayaking Safety Tips
- Always wear a life jacket.
- Bring extra clothing in case of inclement weather.
- Stay within the calmer, protected waters of the reef. Venturing beyond the reef may subject you to rougher waters and stronger currents.
- Kayak with a partner and let someone know where you’re going and when you expect to return.
- Turn back if the water becomes rough.
- Bring drinking water and food/snacks with you if you plan to be away from the resort for a while.
- Give yourself enough time to safely return to shore to meet any deadlines or appointments you may have.